"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Busy Girl

I’ve been quite a busy gal.  Drew and I took the plunge and spent this past Saturday truck shopping.  Lots of looking, fending off a couple of over zealous car salesmen and lots of decision making.  We landed at the Ford lot, happy to be past the consideration of GMC or Chevy.  We are Ford fans.  Get over it.  By the end of the day we drove away in a black F150.  What’s that?  You thought we already had a black F150?  Yes, we do.  Now we have two!  This one is an extended cab, as opposed to the crew cab we already have.  The crew cab is now mine and the new extended cab is Drew’s.  I asked him if he was going to regret making such a big purchase and getting pretty much the same thing that he’s had.  His response?  If we love something, why change it?  Good point. 

We traded my Tahoe and I was okay with it.  Really, I was.  I had cleaned out all my things and washed it up.  I was ready to say goodbye to it.  By the time we signed all the papers and went out to the Tahoe to get the garage door opener and my CD, I was crying.  Women.  It was way harder to walk away from it than I thought it would be.  Memories of Alex & Emma’s little finger prints on the back windows.  I recovered, after scaring the salesmen with my tears on my way to the bathroom to wash my face, and we are super happy with our new purchase.  It is sort of the best of both worlds… a new vehicle with all its shiny reliability, but still familiar in some ways.  I’m a Ford girl, I can’t help it. 

For the record, we highly recommend Landers McClarty Ford in Bentonville.  They were very helpful and professional and not pushy or intrusive at all.  David & Dewayne were great for us and the general manager was also wonderful.  If you are looking for a new or used vehicle then you might give it a try.  Tell them that Drew sent you. 

On Sunday night Kyle brought Braeden over.  He’s a piece of cake to take care of (as opposed to babies, toddlers and preschoolers), but man oh man does he have some energy!  That night when we were going to bed he had tons of questions. 

B: Will there be noises at the windows? 

Me: Nope, there is nothing out there to brush against the window. 

B:  What if there is a stranger out there? 

Me: There won’t be. 

B: What if I hear growling?

Me: Then it’s just the dogs.  That window goes to the back yard, so if you hear noises then it’s just the dogs. 

B: What if there are deer? 

Me: We don’t have deer. 

B: There are deer at my house. 

Me: But not here. 

B: But they could jump over your fence. 

Me: Yes, they could, but I have lived here a long time and never seen a deer. 

B: Okay. 

He cracks me up with his six year old questions.  He wiggled from the middle of the room and laid in the doorway with his head hanging out in the hall.  He slept well, but woke up at 4:45 the next morning!  Since Drew and I were getting up at 5 anyway, we just let him get up and watch television.  I had asked him if he wanted to go see Uncle Casey or stay around here and go bowling.  His response was, “Can we do both?”  Sure thing.  I haven’t gotten to do much fun stuff with Braeden and Kayla in their lives, as I’ve been a bit busy taking care of Alex & Emma.  So, of course we can do what he wants now! 

We drove up and had lunch with Casey’s crew and had all kinds of interesting conversations on the two hour drive.  Most of them centered around the radar detector, how it worked and where the cops were hiding.  He also told some stories about his daddy getting pulled over in the past :)  Then he went through the console.  He was quite interested in the tire pressure gauge, so that took lots of explaining.  Then… I found myself in a delicate conversation. 

B: What’s this. 

Me: (looking and trying not to blush) Just girl stuff. 

B: What’s it for. 

Me: It just for girl things. 

B: Where does it go? 

Me: (calm panic, trying to make no big deal out of it) I guess you will have to ask your mommy or daddy about that. 

B: Me and my daddy have a secret. 

Me: Oh yeah?

B: Yeah, about being married and making babies.  But I can’t tell you about it. 

Me: (sigh of relief and quick changing of the subject)

Really, how do I get myself into these conversations with 6 year olds?  Anyway, Kyle & Misty, you might want to be prepared for questions about tampons.  You are welcome. 

After lunch with Casey & Sasha, we headed back towards home to go bowling.  He finally fell asleep in the truck (4:45 was catching up with him, I guess). 

IMG_2238

IMG_2237

We went to Fast Lane in Rogers and did the black light bowling.  Super fun!  Braeden tried bowling on his own, then we tried the slide thing…

IMG_2240

We decided to ask them to put the bumpers up and that went much better! 

IMG_2242

After bowling we played games in the arcade and won lots of tickets. 

IMG_2244

He chose to spend part of his tickets on a giant pixie stick.  The look on his face when he got a sour flavor was too funny to not take a picture! 

IMG_2247

He chose KFC for dinner, he and Drew played basketball in the house and then those soaked in the hot tub.  (Oh yeah, a few weeks ago we got an Intex portable spa and it’s awesome.  It fits perfectly on the back porch and is lovely.) 

IMG_2249

We really had a great time with Braeden and I’m so glad I got to spend that time with him.  Although, I may have set a dangerous precedent with the bowling and arcade fun! 

After Misty picked him up yesterday I called Grandpa’s doctor to see about an appointment for him.  He couldn’t hear at all and I knew his ears needed to be flushed.  The over the counter drops I tried for him didn’t do anything to help.  To my surprise they had an appointment that afternoon, so I got myself ready and headed to pick Grandpa up.  We spent 3 hours at the doc and the issue much better, but they are going to send him to an ENT to finish the job and make sure all is clear.  I was also able to talk to the doc about his more recent confusion, fatigue, etc.  He is going to get us an appointment with a neurologist and I think that’s a good idea.  I was worn out by the time I got home and the fact that I left my house in shambles didn’t help.  Today is about cleaning up, doing laundry and getting my ducks in a row.  We’ve decided that we need to go camping this weekend, purely for the purposes of being unplugged, together and away from things for a couple of days.  Don’t ask me where we are going, you aren’t invited :)  Drew leaves for work travel on Monday morning and I will have JR for a couple of days so that Jessica and Jason can get away for their anniversary.  Busy, busy :) 

No comments: