"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Tuesday

Drew and I kept our camping reservations this weekend.  Kyle and Casey had things under control at Dad’s, so Drew and I took the chance to get away together.  On Saturday we went fishing.  The weather was beautiful.  Not that it was a competition, but I totally won the fishing contest!  I’m a worm and bobber fan, so I was just fishing for sun fish and bluegill.  I caught 7 and Drew caught 5.  Yeah Mandy!  Not to brag, but I even backed the boat trailer up by myself.  My first time ever and I didn’t totally screw it up.  I’m quite proud. 

Back at camp, I realized that I was quite sunburned.  While coating myself in bug spray, I had completely forgot sunscreen.  Awesome.  To make it worse, I was wearing a different sort of bra and tank top, so parts of my shoulders and back that never see the sun were quite burned.  Ouch. 

I got a text from Casey (who was spending the night at Dad’s) that Grandpa had fallen a couple of times and was very very confused.  I immediately called them, concerned that he was having a stroke.  All the signs that I knew to look for were not there, so I listened to Dad & Casey and stayed put.  We were all hoping that it was the Risperdol that his doctor prescribed last week to help with his crazy dreams.  The best news was that while talking to Dad, he sounded like himself. 

Fast forward to Monday.  I went to get Dad to take him to his liver doctor appointment.  Grandpa was asleep, so I checked in on him and we left him a note telling him where we went, hoping he would be okay by himself until we got back.  We talked a lot about what will have to happen if he can no longer be alone at home.  Neither of us know the answer to that question and in all honesty, it made me sick to my stomach to think about it.  When we got home from Dad’s appointment, Grandpa was still asleep, so I went and woke him up.  Praise God, he was his normal self.  It would seem that that one dose of medication that he took Friday night had completely kicked his butt, having an opposite affect of what was intended.  We visited for a while and I was able to talk to him openly about what happened and my concerns.  It’s a difficult conversation that nobody wants to have, but we will have to come up with a plan for what to do if/when he can’t be alone or care for himself anymore.  The conversation has been started and will continue. 

As for Dad, his appointment went fairly well.  He still feels rotten, but his head is no longer foggy and confused.  The short of it is this… there’s a good chance that his mowing the yard the weekend before caused him to become overly hot and dehydrated.  That could have kick started this episode of encephalopathy.  They increased the medication that absorbs and expels the excess ammonia, told him to stay hydrated and come back for labs in one week.  I hated to be the internet doctor, but in trying to understand everything I had done a little reading.  It mentioned diet and how too much protein is hard on a bad liver.  I asked the doctor, because I was concerned that the weight loss doctor put him on a high protein diet to help with weight loss.  Turns out that my concerns were warranted.  Too much protein is bad.  The liver processes protein and a damaged liver can’t handle that.  The protein shakes he’s been on could also have contributed to this most recent problem.  All of that is fairly good news because hopefully with these changes he will feel more like himself soon.  His head is clearer now, but his body is still completely fatigued. 

No comments: