"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Q & A

I thought I'd take a moment to address some of the most common questions that I have gotten lately.  Most have actually been asked, a couple have been skirted around.  They are valid questions, all things considered, so I'll answer them here for all to read.  

Q: Are you going to have any more children?

A: No.  Drew and I have no intentions of having more children, either biologically or via adoption.  If God has something in mind for us then we feel sure that he will let us know.  We also feel sure that God himself is the only one who could convince us that having any more children would be a good idea.  We had our children and we loved our children.  Now, as far as children are concerned, we are just enjoying being Aunt Mandy & Uncle Drew.

Q: Mandy, do you intend to get a job?

A: I have a job, it just doesn't provide a paycheck.  If you mean job as in career, then the answer is no.  That may change at some point in the future, but I can't predict that happening and Drew & I are both perfectly happy with that.

Q: Then what do you do all day?

A:  I have spent more time with my nieces and nephews than ever before and I love it.  I've helped watch kiddos when needed, but I've also just spent time with them for the fun of it.  As it turns out, I'm not just a crazy aunt, I can also be a fun aunt.  Who knew?  If I am to be honest then I will admit that I enjoy doing those things when I have time and not as a full time responsibility for the life of another.  I garden and I like it.   I do the yard work because I actually enjoy it.  I take care of our home.  I cook and bake (and eat).  I have lunch dates with friends and family.  I exercise (though not often enough).  I enjoy time with Drew, which is something that we haven't enough of in the last 11 years.  I'm happy to report that not only do we like each other, we really enjoy spending time together... as much as we can get.   I've also had the privilege of helping my Dad and Grandpa much more often.  Had Dad's health gone through all this liver stuff a year ago, I would not have been available to assist in any way.  Let's not forget that I also have time to sit down and breathe or read a book.  That's nice, too.

Q: Have you given up on church?

A: No.  We have not given up on church and most definitely have not given up on God.

Q: How are you?

A:  This is a multidimensional question, as some people ask it just to be nice and others ask it with sincere concern.  No matter the intention, the answer is... really good.  We really are doing really well.  We are happy.  Are there difficult moments?  For sure.  But there are many many really great new experiences. This sort of life is new to us and sometimes a little scary, but it's also pretty cool.

Q: Are you really going on vacation for Christmas?  Don't you mean before Christmas or after Christmas?

A: We mean Christmas, as in December 25th.  We will leave before that and we will return home after that.  We aren't running away or hiding or avoiding.  It is, quite simply, being mindful of our surroundings and situation and making a decision based on us.  Mandy & Drew.  We have no interest in putting up the Christmas tree and pilfering through all the pink & purple decorations and ornaments.  I'm glad they are there and I suspect that someday we will find comfort in that, but not right now.  We don't want to wake up on Christmas morning to everything as usual, minus our girls.  We are not avoiding family or trying to hurt any one's feelings. We are just planning an adventure unlike anything we've done before.  For those that are curious, we are thinking Playa del Carmen, Mexico.  Beaches, palm trees, Mayan ruins, the cathedral in
Valladolid, local markets, snorkeling, sun bathing, exploring, eating, adventuring, resting and enjoying.

No comments: