"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Friday, October 3, 2014

Seriously, y'all

Seriously, y'all.  For some reason I've been quite emotional this week.  Heck, I just had to walk away from the television because Ellen has a young family on right now and the husband has ALS.  I watched the clip before they came out on stage and realized I had tears in my eyes, so I had to walk away.  The truth is, I'm emotional because I'm missing my girls something awful.  You see, cooler temps mean pulling out last year's winter wardrobe and seeing what still works.  Warm clothes mean Halloween is on the way.  After Halloween we move on to Thanksgiving and after Thanksgiving we go into full Christmas mode.  Sprinkle that entire line up with family gatherings, pictures of your kids, snuggles on the couch... there are just some many lovely, cozy and comfortable things about this time of year and all that is ahead.  None of that appeals to me. There are no little girl clothes to pull out or new clothes to buy for girls that have somehow grown three inches in a year.  I don't think I really need to go through each fall and winter occasion for you to get the idea of why this is difficult.
We've established that we are missing our girls...
You know what got me?  I realized that our nephew Braeden is now older than Emma ever was.  Braeden turned 7 just a couple of weeks ago.  Emma died 8 days after her 7th birthday.  That isn't a surprise to me, as I am obviously aware of the facts and the math, but for some reason that reality hit me hard.  I cried about that.  Since then I seem to have found something to cry about every day this week.  Here's the kicker... the world keeps turning.  It just turns and turns and turns.  Life goes on, holidays come, seasons change and those of us fortunate enough get a year older.  Oh, the world is turning all right, it's just that my little world is a bit off it's axis and the typical whir of the world spinning now feels like a washing machine that is out of balance.  I miss my girls.  That's just the truth of it.  So, I let myself cry a bit, let some of these emotions out and thank my God for some very special people in my life.

Let me take a moment to say this... the media is on fire with stories of the enterovirus 68 spreading in children.  It sounds awful & scary and I hope none of you experience it.  In previous years I would be going in to full on germ killing mode, trying to protect my girls from the simplest of colds that could have been detrimental.  This new virus is obviously very serious and deserves some attention, but from what I can tell it spreads the same way a normal cold does and prevention is the same.  Just because I don't have little ones to worry about anymore doesn't mean that I'm going to skip giving this reminder... If you are sick, stay home.  If your kids are sick then keep them home.  Wash your hands.  Cover your mouth with your arm instead of your bare hand when you cough or sneeze.  Take care of yourself and WASH YOUR HANDS (yes, it warrants saying twice).  That's all I have to say about that.

Yesterday I spent the day with Misty (who had a very rare day off work) and we had way too much fun searching for just the right things to decorate her front porch and house for fall.  Her front porch looks awesome and we had a great time together.  I sure do love that girl.

I don't mean to brag, but I'm about to brag.  I totally kicked butt this week in my workouts.  Did I tell you all about the stairs at JBU?  They are 100 stairs that go up the back of a steep hill at the university.  Lots of people in the area like to use them for exercise and Cheryl & I walk a big loop (3+ miles) through town to get to and work the stairs in the middle of our walk.  The first time I did them a few months ago I could only go 3/4 of the way up.  This morning I went up and down 5 full times and I felt like a rock star for it.  So, just in case you were wondering, Cheryl & I are super women.  Feel free to tell us how awesome we are.

Tomorrow morning Drew and I are hitting the road for KC.  Two weeks ago I was dressed up and headed to the theater in Toronto.  Last weekend I had cow poop on my boots and shot deer rifles in the woods.  This weekend I'm redneckin' it up and headed to NASCAR.  Oh yeah, it should be some super awesome people watching.  Contrary to the popular jokes, there really is more to it than left turn, left turn, left turn... repeat.  I'm the girl that used to think NASCAR was the dumbest thing ever and now I actually like it.  It should be a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to another new experience with Drew.  Photos and stories to come, I'm sure.

No comments: