"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Bad day

Dad's having a rough day. I think I already mentioned that he fell this morning when he went to the bathroom alone instead of calling a nurse. Apparently he landed on his rear, so his tail bone and lower back are hurting. That sucks, but it's not what I'm most concerned about. 
He's out of it. Very little that he says is understandable. He's mumbling a lot, not making much sense when he does speak clearly and just generally confused. He did his therapy today, but the part I watched (speech) wasn't great. The therapist would read him something and then ask him questions about what she just said. He didn't know what she was talking about 95% of the time. This is a big change in the wrong direction. I've spoken with the nurse here and she said they drew blood for lab work and I can call this evening to find out what it shows. She has been off for 2 days and was surprised to see the difference today.  I also called the liver doctor and spoke with his nurse. They didn't really know what to say either. He's getting Lactulose 5 times a day (I had thought it was 3, but I was wrong) and he's on Xifaxin (the other med for encephalopathy). That's really the only treatment available. If the lab work shows high ammonia levels then I'm not sure what other treatment options there are. If the labs show his ammonia is okay then we need to figure out why this change in mental status has happened. I do know that we have done and are doing everything that can be done right now. What I don't know is what else is going to happen or need to happen. 
I'm asking for some extra prayers. Doesn't the book of Romans say that the Holy Spirit will intercede when we don't know the words to pray? Yes. That's where I'm at. 

No comments: