"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Friday, December 19, 2014

Friday, December 19

Thank you for praying with me yesterday when Dad was having such a terrible day.  I saw Dad this morning and was so happy to see that the awfulness that was yesterday was a bit better.  I won't say that he's doing great, because it's still really sucks, but today is not like yesterday's extreme confusion.  I would say that this morning he seemed about the same as he did on Wednesday.  I'll take it, because yesterday was terrifying.  My only conclusion as to yesterday's state is that perhaps he had a mild concussion from his fall.  He did bump his head and had a red spot/small bump on the back of his head.  It seems that that would help explain yesterday.  I hope that's what it was, because we don't know what else it could be. 

His nurse the last few days has been great and I appreciate her attention and kindness.  We've learned that when the aides ask Dad if he wants a shower, he will say he'd rather not.  His nurse is making sure that when it's shower day, it's more of a statement than a question.  To be clear, I don't think he doesn't want the shower, he'd just rather sleep and knows how much work a shower is.  He's still not eating much of anything.  Part of that is that he has no appetite, the other part is that it is SO hard to feed himself.  His shakes are no better and just a few bites of food may result in a big mess and little making it to his mouth.  It's frustrating for him.  I've been keeping in touch with several of his friends, because he absolutely can't text like he used to.  The only plan now is for him to keep working in therapy (he's still doing everything they ask of him, even when he really doesn't want to) and pray that each day gets a little better.  The original expectation was about 2 weeks in therapy, but we are now 1 week in and I can't possibly see a way that he will be strong and safe enough to go home in a week.  One day at a time. 

Me?  My brain is exhausted.  Kyle &  I were talking this morning and I just couldn't spit the words out to finish a sentence. 

Me: Maybe I've been hanging around this place too much, because my brain isn't working any better than Dad's.   
Kyle:  No kidding.  I'm about to call Casey and give him an update on your condition. 

Yes, I need a break and I'm looking forward to a week of beach vacation with Drew. 

Kyle & Casey are in charge, so contact them if you need anything concerning Dad or Grandpa.  I'm sure I'll post from Mexico, so while you are drunk on turkey and dressing, you can read about the cocktails that I'm drinking and the hardship of applying more sunscreen :) 

No comments: