"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Monday, February 16, 2015

It's a Girl!

Yes, you read that right.  I'm not being dramatic or tricky with my title today, I'm being completely honest.  Last week I shared about the possibility of adoption.  We honestly didn't know if we would ever hear anything else about it.  Oh, it was on our minds.  That's for certain, but we didn't know if anything more would come of it.  Then we got a phone call on Saturday afternoon.  Actually it was a bit more dramatic than a regular phone call.  We had left Kayla's volleyball games (another post on that later) and went to Home Depot because I'm itching for a new dining room rug.  We are walking the aisles of the store when Drew starts fumbling for his pocket.  By the time he pulled out his phone, all I saw was the name of the caller before it quit ringing.  I immediately started a minor freak out over returning the call.  Problem... Drew's phone only had 2% battery and my phone was in the truck.  We managed to pay for our air filters (couldn't pick a rug under such conditions) and booked it out to the truck.  I had two missed calls from Esther (our friend and attorney) and an email saying, "Call me."  We immediately returned the call, put it on speaker so we could both hear and the first words out of Esther's mouth were, "We have a baby!  It's a girl and she's due July 15th!" 

AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I cried.  My face contorted and the tears were out of my control.  Emotions rolling out and onto my cheeks.  Happy emotions.  I thought Drew's face might actually crack from his enormous smile.  This is what we know...

Birth mom and her Grandmother phoned Esther on Saturday to deliver the news (no "delivery" pun intended) so that we would have good news to share in church on Sunday.  I think it took Esther all of 2.5 seconds to call us!  She may be as excited as we are!  They want to meet us soon so that we can get acquainted and I can go to doctor appointments with Mom if I would like.  Um, yeah!  At noon on Wednesday we are meeting birth mom & her grandmother at Esther's office. 

Drew and I are so very excited!  We spent Saturday calling our family and a few close friends.  Drew said, "This is fun!  Who else  can we tell?!"  On Sunday we decided to share the news with our church family.  I really can't express how much your support and encouragement means to us.  It's a very vulnerable position for us, but some of the best things in life require the most risk.  Like I said last week, we have little control here.  Our biggest role is opening our hearts to another child.  We have done that.  Hearts open.  We have a lot to learn about the process and a lot of preparation to welcome another child into our lives.  I mean, y'all, it's been nearly 10 years since Emma was born (she would have been 10 on March 19th).  We have almost NO baby things.  Jessica has Alex & Emma's baby bed and I have the little cradle that's been in my mom's side of the family since Kyle was born in 1983.  Nothing else.  I'm going to do my very best to not go shopping crazy until baby girl is born and she is legally ours, but there will definitely be some shopping to do before then.  It's all terribly exciting and my heart is stirring.  Please be in prayer with us.  Prayers of thanksgiving for this opportunity.  Prayers that mom & baby girl are healthy and that this process goes smoothly for all involved.  Prayers that by July baby girl will be a Harris! 

2 comments:

BethAnn said...

This is very exciting! Is the same baby you wrote about first?

Kate Hart said...

Could not be more excited for y'all. Fingers crossed and sending you all our love!