"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

21 Weeks

Drew & I met Birth Mom this morning to attend her regular OB check up.  It was so good to see her again and know she is doing well (and that she still likes us!).  Birth Mom & her step mom even filled out a form giving Drew & I access to all information.  

Me: That makes it feel pretty official. 
Them: It is! 

The form just says that we have permission to be present, hear all the information, speak with the doctors & nurses and know what is going on with this pregnancy and the baby. 

We are happy to report that baby Ellie's heart beat is strong (and beautiful, if I may say so) and she is measuring at 21 weeks.  The doctor confirmed that all chromosome tests, blood work and ultrasounds up to this point have been normal.  That's great news and we have no reason to expect that Ellie will be anything but healthy.  Praise God! 

Birth Mom had a few questions for the doctor today.  She wanted to know if Drew & I could be in the delivery room with her, if we could cut the umbilical cord and if we could hold the baby first.  I cried.  The answer to all of those questions was YES.  Birth Mom explained that she felt that this was our baby and that we deserved to have that immediate bonding experience.  Awesome!  The doctor explained that we are now in Birth Mom's file and that when labor & delivery time arrives, Birth Mom can tell the hospital staff these things again and that's what will be done.  While Drew & I will have the privilege of being in the room when Ellie is born and present for all that follows, we aren't completely clear on the arrangements from that time to when Ellie is discharged from the hospital.  The doctor said that she knew parent rooms were available if baby has to stay more than the normal 1-2 nights, but she wasn't sure if there would be an overnight room available for us (as the adoptive parents) if all is "normal".  You would think I would be freaking out about that (history tells us that I do NOT leave my babies), but I'm not.  We can be there and be in the nursery with Ellie, there just may not be a place for us to sleep.  Or, there may be.  I would imagine that at least part of that will be determined by how busy the maternity floor is when Ellie arrives.  For those of you already wondering if you can be at the hospital, too... I don't know.  I do know that it won't be the same as when I had Alex & Emma. Circumstances are different here, so I'm thinking that our family will have to exercise extreme restraint, wait for us to let you know Ellie has arrived and then we will have a better idea.  Again, that's 4 months away and there's plenty of time to figure it all out. 

After this morning's doctor appointment, we took Birth Mom & her step mom out for breakfast.  It was nice to visit and get to know each other a bit better.  Adoption is a whole new world for us, but I can absolutely feel that God has orchestrated every single detail.  It's not a done deal until Ellie is born, the consent is signed, the waiting period passes and the legal documents are in our hands, but I just can't quite explain the feeling of peace that we have over it all.  Eleanor is our child and she has a place in our hearts already.  Honestly y'all, we're having a baby! 

No comments: