"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Friday, March 6, 2015

Daddy's Girl

I've noticed that over the last few days I'm feeling a little unbalanced.  Truth... nothing is wrong.  Truth... there are some pretty amazing things happening in my life right now.  Truth... my brain and my heart seem to be working overtime to balance all that has gone on in the last few months. 
I'm missing my dad so much lately.  Every time I have an update on Birth Mom, baby Ellie or the adoption, I want to call my dad.  I call my mom, I call my brothers & sisters-in-law, my dearest friends and I talk to my Grandpa.  As exciting as it is to share each bit of news with my loved ones, I have yet to shake the feeling that I'm missing something.  Sometimes I know what it is immediately, other times it takes me a while to realize why I'm feeling that way in the midst of something so wonderful.  Every time the answer is the same... I want to tell my dad. 
These feelings aren't new.  I've felt this way many times in the last 2 1/2 months, but it was always about something else... very often that thing is sports.  As silly as that sounds, I still want to text my dad every time the basketball Hogs play.  Every time.  Since the news of baby Eleanor, I've very much missed having him around. 
Yesterday I went tire shopping.  Drew & I have been talking about it for months, but earlier this week I really started noticing a difference in how my truck is handling.  Then we started doing the math and realized how many miles are on the tires I have.  Yeah, it makes sense that I need new tires on my truck.  I tried to talk Drew in to taking care of it for me, but you know what?  He reminded me that I'm a big girl and I could do it myself.  He was right.  He wasn't being mean, he was just encouraging me.  So, yesterday I went on the hunt.  I went to two big retail places (that didn't have what I wanted, would have to order them and only sort of helped me find what I really wanted).  I got their quotes, told them not to order anything right now and took myself to a local business here in town.  The guy was friendly and showed me several different options that fit what I thought I wanted.  I made a decision, he ordered them and I have an appointment on Monday to have my new tires put on.  When I left I felt like a big girl.  I called Drew to tell him so and then I missed my dad again.  I'm nearly 35 years old and I still wanted to call my dad and tell him that I did my own research, picked out and ordered my own truck tires.  Some things never change... being Daddy's girl is one of them. 


No comments: