"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Monday, May 11, 2015

I did that

What did I do this weekend?  Well, let me tell you.  
On Saturday morning I went to Kayla & Braeden's school to participate in the color run.  (It's the run where they throw colored chalk stuff at you at different checkpoints in the race.)  I went through a period of time where I wanted to do such a thing, but never actually did it.  Misty was working a booth during the event, so she asked me to do the 1 mile fun run with her kids.  I said yes and then wondered what I had gotten myself in to!  I reminded myself that my regular walking dates with Cheryl had to have prepared me in some way.  As it turns out, I didn't need to worry.  I totally ran that mile!  Kayla & Braeden didn't need me at all.  Before the race...

Braeden:  Aunt Mandy, I can't run with you.  
Me: Why not?  
Braeden:  Because I'm trying to win.  

That sounded rational to me.  Kayla, on the other hand, started off running with me and then quickly decided that she preferred a leisurely stroll with her friend.  In the end, Braden beat us all by finishing 25th out of 77 with a time of 9:40!  I impressed myself by finishing 51st with a time of 11:31.  Kayla strutted her sassy self across the finish line in 71st place.  She  was not the slightest bit concerned about breaking a sweat!  Haha.  No matter our times, we all three finished much more colorful than when we started.  
Maybe next year I can do the 5k.  I think Braeden could definitely train and run a 5k, Kayla could if she wanted to, and I know I could do it, even if I had to walk some.  There are age groups for the fastest times and it dawned on me that by the time Ellie is elemetary age, I will be in the oldest recognized group... 41+  I'm not sure how I feel about that.  
As if that wasn't enough for a Saturday... we went zip lining that afternoon.  Misty has all kinds of great ideas (cough, cough) and I'm considering changing my phone number in an effort to avoid whatever great idea she comes up with next!  Just kidding.  Sort of.  
All geared up and ready to start the tour.  
Rain doesn't cancel the tour.  Believe me, rain does NOT cancel the tour.  It rained and rained and rained.  If lightening had been obviously close then we would have stopped, but we were lucky and got to keep going.  The course starts off pretty easy and then the zip lines get so long that you can't even see where they end.  I'd like to point out how awesome I am for having done this, but the real stars of the day were Kayla & Braeden.  They just jumped right up there and many times they even volunteered to go first.  In all honesty, it was a really great time and we had so much fun.  Our after shot is much less attractive, as we were all completely water logged.  
After such an exciting afternoon, Drew & I went to Dottie's for an early Mother's Day dinner.   
Pat, Drew & Jessica
I am also right on the edge of having some exciting house news to share, but won't actually say it until it's OFFICIAL.  Tonight we are having a Mother's Day dinner with my mom and headed to Kayla's first softball game of the year.  

No comments: