"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Monday, November 30, 2015

Sweet potatoes

I had Eleanor on my hip as I prepared my lunch plate during the Harris family Thanksgiving on Friday. I'm used to being able to do that without a problem. I'm not used to an almost 5 month old who puts her hands in everything, but that's how I wound up with a tiny little hand in my sweet potatoes. She's reaching for things on purpose now and paying extra attention to what I'm eating. Those are the eating readiness signs, right? 
It just so happens that I was already planning on making sweet potatoes her first baby food. (Not the candied kind!)   So during nap time today...
I put a couple of sweet potatoes in the oven to bake. After nap time I made baby food with Eleanor watching from the MamaRoo. 
One medium sized sweet potato. Baked. 
I peeled the skin off and put the potato in my NutriBullet. I had to experiment a little to get the proper consistency, but I wound up adding about 6 ounces of water to get the right runny consistency for beginner foods. The NutriBullet worked great. 
I spooned it into these little containers that I already had. (I think they must have come in a combo pack of plastic ware, because I'm not sure why I would have bought 4 oz containers.) 
Since we are just getting started, I only put about and ounce in each container. That will change as Eleanor can eat more at a time. For today, my one sweet potato filed 9 little containers with plenty left for our first feeding tonight. Easy. So easy. The potatoes had to bake for an hour or so, but the actual time I spent making 10 days of beginner baby food was less than 10 minutes. I left one container in the fridge for tomorrow and put the others in the freezer. Fruit and/or veggie baby food can be stored in the fridge for about 48 hours and can store in the freezer for several months. (I will likely use the ice tray freezing method in the future, but I don't currently own any ice trays!)
Now, with baby food made, it was time to feed the baby. Hilarity. Bless Drew's heart for picking up my phone and taking pictures without my asking. 
The look of uncertainty... 
Probably shouldn't have given her her own spoon. It was just a distraction. 
What does this face tell you? I'm thinking it says, "what the... ?!" 
"You're kidding me, right?" 
Another bite? Seriously? 
Not cool, Mom. Not cool. 
Stay away from me with that spoon. 
Oh, it was so funny! She just didn't know what do think. We'll try again tomorrow evening and just keep practicing. These early baby foods aren't about nutrition, they are just about new tastes & textures and learning how to eat. 
Nothing ends the day quite like a freshly bathed baby. She's the best. 



No comments: