"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Thursday, December 17, 2015

Grateful

This year has brought many changes for our little family.  New job, new house, new baby.  Yep, big changes.  All of these things are wonderful things, but they have been a bit stressful nonetheless.  While we seemingly have a fresh start, we are not without our memories of the past.  This time of year is a bit difficult for us, especially as we approach the one year anniversary of my dad's death, what would have been Alex's 13th birthday, and then the two year anniversary of Alex's death.  While we don't dwell on the sad things, they are ever present in our minds & hearts.  Each thing, positive or negative, in our lives has brought us to where we are today and that's a pretty great place.  Sometimes we are sad, sometimes we struggle, all the time we give thanks and put our faith in Christ. 
The job that Drew took in the spring was a big change and a leap of faith.  We made the final decision based, not only on the opportunities it provided for Drew's career, but also because of the faith based culture that the company prioritizes.  That was important to us and I am certain that it was the right decision for our now family of three.  Yesterday Drew had me read an email sent to him from his boss, the owner of the company.  It is quite powerful and I asked Drew's permission to share it here. 


When we are engaging business, we pray and do our absolute best.

When things don't go our way, we pray, listen and recalibrate. There is always a learning and lesson from the Lord.

It is very powerful to praise the Lord and give thanks even when things looks bad or appear to go the wrong way!  Faith at work!  Ultimately, it's the Lord's company and everything is under His control.  Our part is to be faithful and diligent - the rest is His.



We are grateful for this company and the men & women Drew works with on a daily basis.  I'm grateful for their words of wisdom and faith used in the business world and the encouragement that it gives us in our personal lives.  It gives me perspective on where I've been, where I am, and where I'm going.  I will keep those words for my own reflection and read them when I need a reminder.  God is good.  All the time. 
Christmas is next week.  There's much fuss these days over what Christmas means, what it should mean, what is appropriate and what is inappropriate.  I prefer to not get into this fussing.  This year we have put up Christmas trees, watched holiday movies, and bought a few gifts, but those things are more expected than necessary.  My heart is full.  Full of memories of the past and hopes for the future.  It's a little sad and  little happy and I'm a whole lot of grateful. 

No comments: