"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Friday, July 1, 2016

Friday

I love how Eleanor wakes up slowly in the mornings. She stirs around for 20 or 30 minutes before she makes noises that mean she's ready to get up. This sleepy face greets me in the morning as she clutches her favorite blanket. 
I don't mean to rub it in, but my garden harvest so far is a handful of salad tomatoes and two okra. 
I did actually pick my first zucchini yesterday and I'm thrilled about that. Maybe my squash will produce soon. I think it's a pollination issue, so if things don't start improving on their own then I will have to try my hand at doing the pollenation with a small paint brush. 

Taking Eleanor through the produce section of the grocery store is like taking her to Disney World. She gets most excited for bananas. I've taken to buying the bananas that are just starting to turn and have been marked down to 25 cents a pound. We eat a few... 
Then I slice and freeze the rest for smoothies. (I freeze my fruit instead of using ice cubes in my smoothies, it keeps them from being watery.)  One frozen banana, add a handful of blueberries or strawberries and then just enough almond milk to make the desired consistency (about half a cup) and then I have a yummy smoothie for 2 weight watchers points. Sometimes I even add a bit of fresh spinach or some milled flax seed. 
This kid can hardly contain her excitement over cousin Corbin. I spent most of my time trying to allow her to play with him without hurting him. She did get in one hard pat on his back that scared me to death, but didnt seem to phase him, thank goodness. He's changing so much and it won't be long before he can hold his own with Eleanor. This is the best we could do for a photo with them both. Poor Corbin :-) 
On Wednesday we got an invite to a get together with some friends from high school. We went and I showed off my fabulously awkward social skills (I'm a hopeless introvert who wants to be social but feels chronically uncomfortable in such situations). No matter, we really enjoyed seeing everyone and had a nice evening. 
I think Eleanor was a bit overstimulated with all the new people & kiddos that evening. We got her home and she kept telling us "night night" as I prepared her bottle and Drew got her zipped into her sleep sack. In fact, we are sort of thinking that she's calling the sleep sack "night night" lately. It's part of our bedtime routine and she's slept in it every night for months and she loves it. 
On the advice of our neighbor, we looked into an OTC treatment to help our dogs during fireworks and other stressful situations. We tried it out last night so we would know what to expect and I would highly recommend this for anyone who has a nervous pup.  These come in the form of a chewy treat that the dogs liked and within 20 minutes they were much calmer and more relaxed than normal. We purchased them at Pet Smart and, while they are a bit pricey ($27 for 60 chews), they are totally worth it. 
For months Eleanor has patted me and said "dada" and then this morning she patted me and said "mama".  I don't know if she'll keep doing it, but it melted me this morning. She's suddenly talking a lot more and repeating sounds for different words. It's amazing how quickly those things seem to happen. One day everything is "dada" and then suddenly there are new words and sounds. 
Weight Watchers update. We are definitely not following the plan 100%, but we are doing great. We still eat & enjoy food, but are making better choices and in the last 5 weeks I have lost 7 pounds and Drew has lost 11 pounds! Yay us!  Funny how just a few pounds can make you feel so much better. The best part... With the regular exercise that Drew has been doing in the last 6 months and the more recent change in eating habits have not just resulted in him losing 11 pounds but in his cholesterol going down 54 points. That's a really big deal and his doctor is so pleased that she is recommending that he not start medication and continue with what he's doing. Yay! 

No comments: