"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

I'm told

I'm told that it's been a while since my last post. Let me fix that. 
I've been a little stressed, but I'm okay. Eleanor had seemed to let go of her day time bottles a couple of weeks ago and I was thinking, "wow, that was easy." She will take drinks from a straw and a sippy cup, so I assumed she would work into getting the full hang of that. She was only getting a few ounces throughout the day, but was eating great and still getting a bottle of milk in the morning and then before bed. Then she let go of the morning bottle. I felt like I was having to talk her into it, so I just let her refuse it. Again, she's eating great, but she was not drinking nearly enough. I spent days offering fluids and we just weren't getting her to drink enough. I knew she was likely getting a bit dehydrated, but she was acting fine. Then she started having trouble having a bowel movement (see how I avoided saying "poop" there?). That was traumatic for Eleanor and for me & Drew. It's been awful. In a desperate effort to give her plenty of fluids and get things 'moving', we've gone back to the bottle. She gets milk first thing in the morning and before bed, but she also gets diluted juice from a bottle during the day. I'm still offering the cup and hopefully she will get more proficient at drinking from the cup, but for now we are just grateful that she's getting enough fluids and praying the diaper problem works itself out. See? Maybe you weren't missing much by me not posting in a few days. Be careful what you ask for. 
This isn't the first time I've worried over a child not eating/drinking enough and a tiny body that couldn't do what it needed to do. Funny how such a "normal" kid problem has stirred up some emotion for me. Have you ever prayed for your kid to eat or drink or poop? I have. I prayed that prayer over Alex & Emma for years and doing it again made my heart hurt for all three of my daughters. 
Aside from all that, this little girl has been perfecting the art of pulling up. She's getting quite good and now she's even starting to shuffle her feet and take a few little steps and I have a feeling we are so close to cruising. Praise God for this happy & healthy baby. 
She hasn't crawled up a step yet, but I have a feeling the baby gate will be going up soon. 
My zucchini and squash aren't doing great. I'm not sure if I have vine borers (I can't see the squash bugs, but that doesn't mean they aren't there) or stem rot, but something isn't going well. I lost more than half of the zucchini plant and the squash plant isn't producing. The best squash I've had all summer came from Heidi's garden. It's a bummer, but I'm still learning. 
These dogs aren't perfect, but they sure are wonderful with Eleanor. 
Hey Grandpa, what's up here? 
A fun visit from Carrie, Mollie & Henry. 

No comments: