"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Mini vacation: Day 1

It just so happens that I have a dear friend from Altus, AR. It just so happens that Altus, AR is Arkansas wine country. It just so happens that said dear friend invited us to come tour the wineries in said wine country. 
On Friday Drew took the day off from work and we drove down to meet Heidi. What a fun afternoon we had! 
Having a bottle of apple juice in the parking lot before our first stop. The look on her face says, "I'm sitting in the front seat!" 
We got to tour Post Winery and learn a lot about the wine making process. 
Eleanor, Heidi & me 
Eleanor & Heidi explored... 
...while Drew and I taste tested. Yum. 
We got to try so many different wines and I learned a lot about what I like and what I don't. General rule: I prefer red wine over white wine and dry wine over sweet wine. Yep, a dry red is what Drew & I both prefer. Because we found several that we liked and because Post wines are so reasonably priced, we bought enough to last a good while.
Next stop, Mt Bethel Winery 
That's my kid, with her finger up her nose. She's recently realized that her finger fits perfectly in her nostril and sticks it up there often. 
Next stop, St Mary's Catholic Church that was built in 1879. Heidi grew up in that church and it is on the National Historic Registry, so we went in to look around. It was beautiful and our tour guide was lovely ;-) 
Our last stop was Wiedekher Winery. We tasted a few more wines and then had dinner in the restaurant there. It was delicious and I would definitely make a trip just to eat there again. I probably have no pictures of this stop because it was one million degrees outside and because I had taste tested about a billion different wines and because I was distracted by making sure that my sweet child didn't destroy the lovely restaurant, but mostly because I just forgot. Oops. 
It was really such a lovely day. Much love to Heidi for planning our day and being our guide. If you have any interest in wine then I highly suggest taking a day trip to the wineries in Altus (there are actually 2 more that we didn't get to visit on Friday), the wine is yummy, the area is beautiful and the people are lovely. 
Eleanor did awesome through the day and the ride home was not too bad because apparently shoes are as fun to play with as they are to wear. 
Mini vacation: Day 1. Success. 

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Fun! I'm glad E cooperated. My 13 month old son has also learned that his finger fits in his nose. Lovely.