"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Sunday, December 25, 2016

Christmas

You guys. So much has happened in the last few days. My apologies for not posting sooner. I'm writing this on my phone while sitting at the hospital, so please forgive typos. 
First: Grandpa hasn't been good. The first few days after hip replacement surgery were pretty good. PT was getting him up & around and his mind was clear. Then, Saturday about 2:45am I got a phone call from the hospital that Grandpa was being moved to ICU because of heart issues. Long story short... he had a mild heart attack, likely due to the stress of surgery and medication changes. He has a long history of cardiovascular disease, but we weren't expecting these problems right now. The doctors have continued to struggled with maintaining his blood pressure & regulating his heart rate. He is on the cardiac unit now and will stay here until they can get things balanced just right. PT still comes every day to get him up. He knows who we are, but isn't quite coherent. He will be here a few more days anyway, because he can't really move on to rehab for his hip unless his heart is stable and his chest is clear. Yesterday was his 81st birthday, though he didn't seem to care. I'm grateful that my Uncle Matt and Steve were here to be at the hospital yesterday and today so that Kyle & I could have some kind of normal Christmas with our own families. 
So... Christmas. 
I'm usually so good at taking photos during holidays and family gatherings, but this year I only have a few pictures from my phone. Better than nothing. 
Thursday night we celebrated at Drew's dad's house. These three cousins sure are sweet (and all sitting still at the same time!). 
 
Eleanor got a fuzzy cow sleeping bag that sure is snuggly. 
 
Corbin kicked back on his new giraffe chair. 
 
Casey's family was able to make the trip to Arkansas to see Grandpa and have early Christmas with us. On Friday morning we took the kids to see Santa. I don't think Eleanor would have done it at all if Tessa & Payson hadn't been there. She only tolerated it, but here is the photographic proof. 
We visited Grandpa (he was still in a regular room at that point) and then took the kids to Chuck E Cheese for lunch and play. 
 
 
 
Eleanor had a nap while I cooked and then we had our McCarty Christmas Friday evening. Again, I failed miserably at getting any quality photos. Here's what I have. Drew & Misty having a light saber battle...
 
And Kyle holding a nearly naked Eleanor. 
 
Saturday morning was spent checking on Grandpa after his cardiac incident and seeing Casey's crew off as they headed back to Oklahoma. We did make it to church for the candlelight service on Saturday evening and then had Christmas Eve at Dottie's house. (Can you guess what I'm about to say?) I have little photo evidence, but this pretty much describes Eleanor's entire attitude that evening.
 
Poor Corbin. His look is like, "Dude, what's wrong with you?" Eleanor was disagreeable all evening and refused to participate in pretty much everything. My stress level probably hasn't been helping her stress level, but we're doing the best we can. 
I was worried that Eleanor's Christmas Eve attitude was an indicator of how Christmas morning would go, but I'm happy to report that being home, just the three of us, was lovely this morning and exactly what we needed.  I did manage to take more photos of that and sitting with Drew as we watched Eleanor discover her gifts made my heart happy. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Just soaking up the quiet Christmas bliss. 
 
Eleanor loves her family, especially her cousins, but she is surely spoiled to being an only child and all the quiet & attention that that affords.  
It's ridiculously warm for an Arkansas Christmas and so I declared this 67 degree day the perfect Teva weather. 
 
Eleanor is napping at home while Drew watches a movie and I spend some time with Grandpa at the hospital.  I don't even know how to end this post because this entire Christmas season has been different than what I would have planned, but I am grateful to God nonetheless. I pray that each of you have that, as well. God is good. Merry Christmas. 

No comments: