"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Thursday, December 1, 2016

Update

Grandpa is still in the hospital today. The blood & urine cultures came back fine, so the problem was not an infection. What is the problem? They don't know. All tests and scans are fine, so it's possible that this is all just a vascular issue. He's had cardiovascular disease for years. He had heart bypass in the 90's and has a history of TIAs (mini strokes). While this event isn't an obvious stroke, that doesn't mean that it isn't mini strokes or a slow progression of the disease than can cause these sort of symptoms. All that said, they don't really know. They will repeat lab work in the morning and then discharge him to a skilled rehab facility. I'm very happy that the facility I wanted had a bed open and the admission nurse I visited with today was fabulous. She was wonderful in helping me understand how this will all work (medically & financially). As long as he is making progress toward the goal of regaining his previous level of function then Medicare & insurance will pay for up to 100 days of in-patient rehab in the skilled nursing facility. On that note, if he is not able to make progress toward that goal or, if by the end of that 100 days he is still unable to care for his own personal needs, then they will help us transition him to the level of care he will need. That's a whole other can of worms that they will help me navigate if need be. It's all a bit stressful, but I'm also finding comfort in knowing he will be getting the care he needs. Thank you to everyone who has reached out to check on Grandpa and help us this week. I'll try to continue updating daily. 
Need an Eleanor fix? 
Quality time with Daddy this week: 
 
 
And finally the perfect size for the Disney footie pajamas from Little Pam! 
 
 

No comments: