"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Friday, June 16, 2017

Mommy & Eleanor: Part 1

For months I've been trying to pump myself up enough to take a road trip with Eleanor.  She's not been the best car rider in the past, so that had scared me into delaying such an adventure.  Some of my fondest memories with Alex & Emma were the road trips we took together... just us girls.  We drove to Fort Hood, TX and Fort Sill, OK multiple times to see Drew during his lengthy deployment.  I especially love our grand adventure to Arizona to see Casey when he was working on the Babbitt Ranch just south of the Grand Canyon.  I know Eleanor is little, but I was really craving such an adventure with her and finally got the nerve to make it happen.  I'm so glad I did. 
My grandma B suffered from a detached retina in her right eye several months ago and has had several surgeries and lots of not-so-fun recovery going on.  She still has no sight in that right eye, but she's feeling better and I really wanted to go see her... so that was the first stop on our girl trip.  We packed up and headed out Monday morning.  All smiles to start:
 The trip to OKC takes about 3 1/2 hours from my house, so we broke it up and stopped in Chouteau at the Amish bakery.  We stretched our legs, had a potty/diaper changing break, and bought an unnecessary amount of baked goods.  Eleanor did so great and we made it to OKC in little more than 4 hours.  Eleanor never slept, so we were running on no nap, but she did so good and I was so proud of her.  She was happy to see Granny Browers and we spent the afternoon & evening visiting with Granny, Aunt Linda, and cousin Elizabeth.   I waited until too late to try and take any good photos (once E was overly sleepy, the moment for cooperation had passed), but I have these snap shots of her playing. 
Linda found a bag of kid toys for E to play with. 
 She liked Granny's eye patch, especially when Granny would be silly and say "Rrrrr" like a pirate!  She spent lots of time "helping" Granny to organize her table of things. 
 Elizabeth was the flower girl in my wedding.  Now she's in college and entertaining my toddler.  Ah, time.
 Eleanor showed Granny a few new tricks on her iPhone.  Ha! 
 The next morning we had breakfast with Granny and then packed up for the next leg of our Mommy & Eleanor adventure.  Can you see the look on her face in the background?  "Really, Mom?  More car time?" 
 We made a quick stop at the outlet mall in OKC before hitting the open road.  Eleanor wasn't necessarily thrilled over the time in the car seat, but she never had a real meltdown and was such a trooper.  She took a 30 minute nap and then popped her head up and started talking like she hadn't dozed off at all!  A 30 minute nap is not a great nap, but it's better than the 0 minute nap she took the day before.  In case you're wondering... highways in the Oklahoma panhandle still look like this. 
We stopped at Walmart in Woodward (because there's not much of anything between there and Casey's house in Hardesty), picked up a few things I had forgotten to pack, and I let Eleanor walk all over the store to burn some energy.  The last 1 1/2 of the trip went really well and we listened to the Beauty & the Beast soundtrack on repeat.  Eleanor would squeal, "Princess Belle!" and we sang along.  She did fantastic and I was so proud of how she handled the trip.  It was only 4 trillion degrees with a slight panhandle breeze at Casey & Sasha's.  Translation: it was 102 degrees and approximately this windy:
Quick!  Somebody tie a rock to her leg so she doesn't blow away! 

No comments: