"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Friday, June 16, 2017

Mommy & Eleanor: Part 2

Like I said, it was SO hot in Hardesty.  So hot.  I've been to see Casey & Sasha three times since they moved out there 2+ years ago, but that was in January, April, and November.  I was not prepared for how hot June would be.  How can I even describe to you how hot it was?  (It's a dry heat?  Oh really?  Well guess what?  Dry heat is HOT.  Don't try to tell me it's not.) 
I'm so spoiled (surprise, surprise) and was extra happy to see that Casey & Sasha had put the window A/C unit in the living room a couple days before I arrived.  They are SO MUCH TOUGHER than I ever will be.  They're all like, "Oh, it's 95 degrees, but there's a breeze.  We'll just open a window and turn on a fan."  I'm all like, "Dear Lord, I think I'm dying!  Is my skin melting off?  Really, is it melting?  Where is the thermostat?  I need more ice in my drink!" 
I'm obviously being dramatic here, but it really was hot.  The A/C did a great job of keeping the house comfortable and Casey & Sasha humored me by not making me do any manual labor.  Secretly, they may have been happy for me & Eleanor to serve as an excuse to stay inside during the heat of the day.  Maybe. 
I asked Eleanor if she wanted to go outside that evening to see the animals.  She said, "Elephant?!" and used her arm as a trunk while making an elephant noise.  I've obviously failed her.  She thinks elephants live on farms in the Oklahoma panhandle.  Despite the fact that there were no actual elephants on Uncle Casey's farm, she had such fun seeing the horses, calves, sheep, goats, and dogs.  Much to my not-so-cat-loving personality, she LOVED the kittens.  Like, she was smitten over the kittens.  For real.  I had outside cats when I was little, but we never had inside cats because my mom was allergic.  I just never became a cat person and would surely classify myself as a dog person.  Still, even I had to admit that these kittens were cute. 
She put an awful lot of effort into riding this bike (that I never could convince her was actually a scooter to stand on).
video

For the most part we stayed inside on Tuesday because of the heat (and probably also because I'm a sissy).  We watched movies with Tessa & Payson.  Correction: we watched one movie with Tessa & Payson.  Sing.  Have y'all seen it?  It's pretty cute and I didn't mind watching it on repeat.  In fact, I'd watch it again if they wanted me to. 
Wednesday we made a trip to town. 
Back home... Eleanor fell asleep on Sasha, so they stayed in the A/C for a nap.  It turned out to be little more than 30 minutes, but a little bit is better than nothing and Aunt Sasha got some of those coveted baby snuggles. 
I blew up this little pool that Mom sent.  (please give me credit here.  I actually blew this thing up with my own hot air.)  Because Sasha was snuggling my sleeping baby and I didn't know where to find the kids' swim suits... I slathered them in sunscreen and let them play in their undies.  Crazy Aunt Mandy for the win. 
When the kids decided they were done, Sparkles the dog went for a dip.
Road trips, little-to-no naps, staying up late, waking up early, and playing hard with your cousins can really take a toll on a gal.  
Toddler emotions (and the Mommy emotions that follow) were running a little wild there for a while.  When Eleanor was a baby I apparently gave off this, "My baby is perfect, my house is spotless, and I have everything under control" vibe that made Casey & Sasha feel a bit less than perfect.  Now that I have a toddler with all the normal toddler attitudes and I have all the normal (and less than perfect) reactions to said attitudes, they are feeling way better about their own skills.  I was happy to help :) 
Exploring Wednesday evening.  
 She found a kitten!  In this picture she's saying, "Where go?"  because she could only find one kitten. 
 She kept saying, "Hold him?" so finally I picked one up and let her hold it.  She was bursting with excitement over it.  This black & white kitty was pretty gentle and happy to have her attention.  She was so tickled over getting to hold a kitten and was really quite gentle. 
 I sent Drew a picture of her with the kittens and his response was something along the lines of, "Why do they have cats?  We are not getting a cat."  I threatened Sasha's life if she even considers giving my child a living creature for her birthday.  No cats.  Please. 
The sheep were loud, Eleanor kept telling them, "Shh!"  
video

  Wednesday wasn't quite as hot as Tuesday, but it was still hot.  Her little face was so read and she wasn't happy when I made her go inside to cool down and have something to drink. 
 In the barn with Casey, working on taming this rocking horse.  (This was Alex's rocking horse that we passed down to Tessa & Payson, so it was fun for me to see her enjoying something that Alex & Emma could never safely enjoy because of their balance issues.)  I thought about bringing it home with me and then decided there was really no better place for it than right there. 
 Tessa is the official animal namer.  The kittens are named Meowers and Cowers.  I don't know which is which, but she certainly does! 

Eleanor continues to be a bit skeptical of Uncle Casey.  She wants him around, but doesn't want him to get too close.  They eventually made buddies with the help of a toy guitar and Casey's creative lyrics. 
video




 Enjoying the A/C and reading the book Granny B sent for Payson. 
 I wasn't sure how the trip home would go, given that we were driving the entire 7 hours in one day, but she did fantastic. We made a few stops when we needed to, but she looked at books, watched Elmo on the DVD player, and we sang to Beauty & the Beast.  She didn't lose her cool when she'd ask, "Hold you?" and I had to explain (again) that we have to sit in our car seats when we're driving.  She even took a 50 minute car nap, which is a big deal for her!  We had such a wonderful time together.  I definitely would like some time at home now, but I'm so glad to know that fun filled road trips with my little girl are possible!  Mommy & Eleanor Road Trip 1.0 was a success! 



No comments: