"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Move over, Boomer Phelps

Alert!  Alert!  Week 2 of swim lessons is going great!  It's all starting to click for her and now that we've added in something that she's interested in doing (climbing out of the pool), she's more willing to do a bit of the less fun things (blow bubbles)!  Yay! 
Yesterday they started teaching kiddos to hang on to the side of the pool and climb out on their own.  Eleanor LOVES this.  She super duper wants to climb out of the pool and stand on the edge.  She's not crazy about how the concrete scratches up her arms & legs in the process, but it's apparently worth the pain when the end result is standing on the edge and declaring victory.  She can hang on without my help, but she needs a tiny little nudge to get enough leverage to climb out (the pool is 3.5 ft deep, so she can't touch).  She's so close to doing it solo and I'm excited to see her try it again tomorrow.  (I should mention that this pool is filled to the brim.  I'm not sure how she'll do in a pool that has a few inches between the top of the water and the edge of the pool.  We'll have to wait and see.)  She's not actually jumping back into the water, but she thinks she is.  She does a little stationary jump and then I help her jump to me.  She loves splashing back into the pool and is so excited about climbing back out that today she was willing to attempt blowing bubbles, floating on her back, kicking her legs, and reaching & pulling to propel herself to the edge.  Yay for progress!  Also, there's the post lesson sucker.

 
Y'all should see her strut her stuff when the lesson is over.  The walk from the pool to the locker room is a victory parade during which she holds up her sucker like it's a gold medal and uses her other hand to wave goodbye to everyone and everything.  "Bye pool!  Bye water!  Bye ladies! See ya!" 
I made sure to give extra praises for her efforts today.  I don't expect her to be an Olympic swimmer (move over, Boomer Phelps), but I just really love to see her trying new things and putting in the effort to learn.  Watching it come together and click for her makes last week's anti bubble blowing screaming (and the still freezing cold water) worth it. 

No comments: