"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Swimming?

I'm not sure Eleanor is going to win any awards from swim lessons this summer.  Perfect attendance, maybe.  It's not quite the idyllic memory maker that I had dreamed up in my head. We're making memories, that's for sure, but they include how cute she is in her Minnie Mouse swim suit and how she HAS to stop and sit on the bench on our way into the aquatic center. 
The memories include her perky little pony tail that keeps her bangs out of her eyes (you know, for when she refuses to put her face in the water to blow bubbles). 
 The memories include excitement over her very first lollipop. 
 Memories?  Yep, we're making them.  I'll remember how she's very loud and clear about how uninterested she is in doing anything on demand.  These girls (and I say girls because they can't be more than 18 years old) that are leading the class are timid & unclear and we aren't really getting much done.  They say, "Okay, now we're going to blow bubbles" and then they walk around the circle for the next 10 minutes as parents blow bubbles in the water and kids alternate between crying or staring blankly.  When they get to Eleanor and ask, "Can I see you blow bubbles in the water?" she screams, "NO!!!" and swats them away.  Those gals don't know what to do.  Gonna work with my toddler?  You'll need to be tougher than that.  Today, after yelling "NO!" and refusing to blow bubbles, the girl told her she could have a pool noodle if she blew bubbles.  Eleanor actually held her arms out for her and the girl didn't know what to do.  She reluctantly took her, but she missed the opportunity to teach Eleanor something in the process.  They're young.  I get that, but I think that next year I will do more research and get her in to a different place.  I hear great things from a friend whose little one is taking lessons at the Jones Center, so maybe we'll look in to that.  Two year olds in that class are learning how to come back up for air when they go under water.  They are learning to hold on to the side of the pool and how to climb out on their own.  We're blowing bubbles and  chasing pool noodles. 
I'm reminded of when Alex (and eventually Emma) first started physical therapy.  The therapists were asking them to do things that weren't easy or comfortable for them and there was resistance.  While part of my momma heart wanted a therapist that was gentle and comforting, the biggest part of me wanted them to have a therapist that was firm, encouraging, and willing to push them just far enough to reach their own potential.  Love on them.  Yes, please.  Love on them, but be firm and effective.  Cheryl.  I wanted Cheryl.  She wasn't (and still isn't!) a softie that was agreeable to doing the bare minimum and letting kiddos get away with not even trying.  Hey Cheryl, if you ever tire of pediatric physical therapy, please come be Eleanor's swim instructor!
Though this class isn't all I hoped it would be, I don't think it's a total waste.  I mean, she really did enjoy the sucker they gave her after today's class :-)
 Other stuff... my garden is growing like crazy.  I discovered cucumber beetles a couple of weeks ago and I'm afraid they have already done too much damage to the cucumber plant.  My understanding is that their real damage comes from bacteria that they introduce to the plant that results in this...
I discovered squash bugs (nasty, mean looking things) this past weekend, so I acted quickly and decided to use Sevin.  Hey, I'm all in favor of less pesticides and chemicals in/on our food, but my tiny little garden has helped me understand how super difficult that is.  I think I've knocked the squash bugs for now, the plants are growing like crazy, and I picked my first zucchini today! 

The tomato plants are doing fairly well.  I have some small fruit growing, but nothing ripe just yet.  (I had to buy tomatoes at the store on Monday and it hurt to give them money for something I know I'll have an abundance of very soon.)  They aren't growing quite a big as they were by this time last year, but I rotated beds this year and they are in the bed that doesn't get quite as much sun.  They are still growing and I think that the shade will help them last longer as the summer heat really takes hold. 

 Weight Watchers.  Apparently you have to do more than pay the membership fee if you want to lose weight.  Rip off, right?  I should have read the fine print.  Ha!  Yeah, I only stuck with it for a week or two and then we sunk back to our old habits.  We're all just doing the best that we can and right now my best is falling off the Weight Watchers wagon.  Know what I've learned from Eleanor's swim lessons?  My daughter doesn't care that I'm not the skinniest or most muscled momma in the pool.  She cares that I'm in the pool.  I'm in the pool, y'all, and that much makes me happy. 

No comments: