"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Summer is Fun

Summer is fun, y'all.  It's a good time.  Don't get me wrong, I'm among the first to complain when it's super hot, but it really is such fun.  This week we've done some evening back porch sitting with people we love, had pool play dates with friends, watered the flowers & drank from the hose, stayed inside in the A/C and watched movies, eaten fresh veggies that we grew ourselves... it's just been a good summer kind of week.  I even had a lovely girls night out with some of my favs.  (Insert happy feelings here)
 Low Carb Diet update:  It's going really well.  I lost 3 pounds in the first week and even I'm a little bit surprised that I've made it a week without a bag of chips or a cookie.  In all honesty, it's almost easier for me to just avoid all bread, cereal, pasta, sweets, etc. and just fill my diet with protein and healthy fats than it is to do Weight Watchers where I have to count every single thing and am getting just enough carbs to really make me want some more.  There were a couple of days of feeling a bit fatigued and weird (keto flu, they call it), but my body seems to have adjusted to this low carb thing pretty well and I'm actually feeling pretty good.  I even did fine going out to eat with friends last night and didn't feel deprived at all.  I had fish, asparagus, and broccoli and was completely satisfied. No bread before and no dessert after.  When I do get those cravings for carbs, it's not because I'm hungry, but more because I'm bored or reaching for something out of habit.  So, yeah, I'm pretty happy to continue doing this for a few weeks and see how it goes.  Eventually we'll add back in some healthy carbs and find a good balance, but I'm already feeling like my body is appreciating the reset in eating habits. 
Monday's dinner was pretty, so I took a picture.  Also, that cucumber was the one and only cucumber I grew before the cucumber beetles wrecked havoc and my plant went under.  This salad was spinach, romaine, cucumber, celery, a boiled egg, grilled chicken, cheese, avocado, and just a bit of Italian dressing. 
L
 So this is new.  Climbing.  Not just taking a step up or sitting on a box.  She can now get on the ottoman and couch with no help.  Yesterday I was folding laundry, turned around and she was sitting in this chair.  I sat her back down just to be safe and she was back up there within seconds. 
 She's also decided that she isn't sitting in a high chair anymore.  She let me know by waving me away when I went to lift her into her high chair last week.  Then she walked over to a dining chair, pulled it out, climbed right up, and sat down like a boss.  So we've moved the high chair out and put a booster seat at the kitchen table and that's that. 
We had a fun morning with a friend from church.  I got to know Kristi in my Wednesday morning Bible study last semester and we hit it off.  I'll be co-leading a study with her this fall and I'm excited about that.  Her kiddos are a bit older, but we all know that's not a problem for Eleanor.  We swam the morning away and ended with some front porch swinging.  (FYI: she's mad in the picture because she wanted a Capri Sun like everyone else and didn't believe that I had poured hers into her sippy cup.  Ya know, toddler stuff.) 
 We have a DVD player in my car.  We bought it last fall for the trip out to Casey's house and it was totally helpful, but then Grandpa got sick and I spent so much time carting her around that I just left it.  It really became an issue because no matter the trip, she expected to watch television.  It helped when she & I made the Oklahoma trip last month, but it started getting out of hand again.  She didn't just request it, she was throwing fits and demanding it any time we were in the car.  I threatened to take it out, but then I remembered that I'm the grown up here.  So several weeks ago I just told her no.  We aren't watching television in the car.  It was met with some resistance, but now she doesn't even ask for it.  Today when we pulled back into the driveway from our play date I looked back and saw this.  That's what I'm talking about.  You read that book, girl! 

No comments: