"I should not talk so much about myself if there were any body else whom I knew as well."
-Henry David Thoreau

Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Potty Time

Fair warning: potty training details ahead!  

As you know, I gave a few brief tries at potty training Eleanor in the last 6 months.  Each time she was showing signs of being ready, but our efforts didn't really take.  She was interested, but maybe too interested!  She just wanted to hang out in the bathroom and read books!  So now, here I am trying to keep my house in pristine condition for potential showings, and my toddler declares it's time to potty train.  I couldn't really ignore her.  Two times on Saturday she grabbed her diaper and told me "poo poo".  I tried to brush it off, not taking her seriously, but when she insisted I finally took her to the potty.  Both times her diaper was freshly wet.  She was saying "poo poo", but she meant "pee pee".  Oh!  She wasn't lying, she really did need to go!  When she did it again before nap time on Sunday, I decided I best take her lead.  After nap I let her go bare bottomed and we cheered for no diapers & using the big girl potty. 

Day One (half a day Sunday): I set the alarm to go off every 30 minutes, but she didn't really need it.  She took the lead and over the course of the afternoon & evening we made lots of trips to the bathroom where she peed very small amounts in the potty.  Zero accidents.  I did offer stickers as incentive, but she didn't seem to need it.  She was just excited to use the potty.  When she woke up the next morning she was super wet, proof that she hadn't been emptying her bladder when using the potty the evening before. 
Day Two (Monday): We stayed home all day long and she went bare bottomed.  She went 6 times and seemed to realize she could let loose and go more than just a dribble in the potty.  Zero Accidents.  (Of course, wearing a diaper for nap time and bed time.) 
Obviously, the head band is key to potty training success.  Lol.  But really, the juice box is key.  Load her full of liquids so there's plenty of opportunity for potty practice!

Day Three (Tuesday):  Continuing the advice of the Potty Train in Three Days method, I planned a short outing.  She went bare bottomed at home in the morning and I waited until she had a good trip to the potty before I put undies on her and we went to Walmart.  She stayed dry for the entire trip and then had an accident in the car seat on the way home.  I should have been a bit faster with the grocery shopping or taken her to potty while we were there!  She wore a diaper for nap time, but went bare bottomed from there until bed time.  She drank a ton, took so many trips to the potty, and wouldn't pee for nearly 3 hours.  I was getting frustrated with her, so I bribed her with a sucker and it worked!  She really emptied her bladder that time and it's like something clicked! Her little face was like, "Hey, I can keep peeing until I'm done!" We even played in the back yard that evening and there were no more accidents.  Recap: One accident, lots of successes. 
Lessons learned from day 2... taking stuff to the bathroom with you (i.e. Minnie Mouse ears and a purse and all the other stuff in the floor that you can't see here) is just a distraction. 
...but suckers can be strong motivators! 
Day Four (today): Bare bottomed at home for the morning.  I had to meet the realtor and inspector at the new house this morning, so after a successful trip to the potty, I put a pull-up on her for the outing.  (The "experts" say not to do that, but the experts didn't have to wash & reassemble the car seat covers last night and then go on another extended outing today!)  I didn't make a big deal of it when we were at the new house, but then she came to me and told me she needed to potty.  I have a fold up potty seat that I carry in the diaper bag, so I took her to the potty.  Her pull up was a bit wet, but then she peed in the big potty!  Yay, Eleanor!  An hour later she was dry when we got home and then used the big toilet (with a little seat for her) before nap time. 

Y'all, I think she may have this thing down.  I know it's not 100% yet, but she's rocking it! Once she was ready, she was just ready.  While it has taken some patience on my part, it's actually been kind of a breeze.  Now that she's figured it out, she's even happy to sit on the little seat on the big toilet.  Three months ago that freaked her out. 
Fellow potty training parents, THIS short Elmo video seemed to be good inspiration for her. 
Other tips that have worked for Eleanor: having somebody to tell when she succeeds.  "Go pee pee and then we can go tell Daddy that you used the potty!"  Even better (and only slightly weird), having an audience.  Daddy, Foose, Mac... whoever.  She's not shy and if she gets to show off her new skill then she's more likely to go! 

 Other cool stuff...
Why didn't anyone congratulate me on not posting a monthly update on the 4th?  I mean, really.  I've been doing it for 24 months and then, BOOM, month 25 rolls around and I just don't do it.  It's a miracle.  Still, she's doing cool stuff like potty training, so an informal (non-month related) update is obviously warranted. 
She's decided that she doesn't like fresh oranges or strawberries this week.  She will, however, eat a mango like nobody's business.  Other favorite foods at the moment: peanuts, cashews, almonds, pistachios, cheese, ham, scrambled eggs, sausage.  Yes, these are the foods that Drew & I are eating a lot of lately.  She still has snacks like Teddy Grahams and Gold Fish, but I'm not buying bread and chips anymore and apparently she's taking note.  Last week she ate Cesar salad.  She asked for it off of my plate.  She thought the dressing was Ranch, but she ate it.  She didn't just suck the dressing off and spit the lettuce out, she actually ate it.  You could have knocked me over with a feather when she ate the first bite and then said, "Yum, more lettuce!" Yesterday in the grocery store I turned down the bread aisle and she reacted like a pre-teen girl at a boy band concert.  She totally lost her cool over the sight of bread!  I don't even think she knew how much she'd been missing it until that moment.  She was so excited that I bought her a loaf of cinnamon raisin bread and let her eat a slice in the store. 

Speaking of no bread, let's do a low carb update.  We're still going strong.  It's been 5 weeks and I've lost exactly 10 pounds.  Not to brag (I'm totally bragging), but I'm officially not over weight anymore.  My BMI (if we consider this to be a valid measurement, which I'm not sure we do) is officially normal.  Drew's in Canada this week, so I don't have a weight update for him.  We've been doing what some call the VLC (Very Low Carb) thing up to this point.  That means, for us, that we've stuck to 20 grams of carbs or less a day, but I've started noticing some strange things that I think could be related.  Officially I think it's a heart palpitation, but the way I'd describe it is that my heart is beating too big.  Not too fast, not skipping, just beating too big.  In the past I've experienced this as a symptom of stress/anxiety and it's totally possible that this is the case now (hello, unexpected house buying & selling), but it could also be a side effect of a VLC diet for some people.  So, I've begun adding in a few more carbs each day by adding fruit to my breakfast and I think it's helping.  I surely can't tell that it's hurting anything. 

Our house is officially on the market and listed HERE, so if you live in our area and would like to share it then please do.  Or, if you're just nosy and want to see my house, you're welcome to do that, too.  Up to this point the entire process has gone so smoothly that we're finding it a bit difficult to be patient as we wait for it to sell.  This is the trusting God part. 

No comments: