Silly selfie after bath time
Since all I seem to have to talk about is potty training and low carb diets, let's cover the low carb part of this post. I've told you all how much better I feel since we've begun this diet, but I haven't been super specific about how exactly I feel better. The main things for me are:
1. I feel less foggy and tired.
2. I no longer feel bloated or experience that uncomfortable "full" feeling after eating. My appetite is satisfied, but my belly is comfortable.
3. My mood has stabilized. I'm a woman, so I'm probably going to always have some mood swings, but I've felt (and behaved) much more balanced.
4. My skin has cleared up. I've had issues with cystic acne for a long time. Not just the normal little pimples that most people get, but large, painful, hard bumps under the skin. I've tried tons of topical stuff, cleaners, moisturizers, face creams, etc. and nothing has ever helped. I haven't had a single one since we cut out all the grains and sugar from our diet.
5. More skin stuff. Off and on for years I have experienced itching. I get itchy for no good reason. Sometimes it's all over my body and very uncomfortable, but it gets especially bad on my face. Sometimes so bad that any sort of moisturizer or cosmetic just burns. It's impossible to not scratch or rub, but that just makes it worse. It's not always visible to others, but if you look closely it is a slightly raised and splotchy rash. While avoiding grain and sugar, my skin has stayed clear. The first time we ate poorly I had a small break out, but nothing terrible. I wasn't sure if it was the grain or sugar, since I ate both, so I just went back to the my new diet and things were fine.
Until now. Last Sunday Drew and I splurged and ordered a thin crust pizza. I noticed that the next day my face was a bit irritated and my chest and neck were a little itchy, but it wasn't terrible so I brushed it off. My belly felt fine. Yesterday at lunch I had a sandwich. I took the top slice of bread off, but I ate the bottom slice. I didn't want to be rude by completely picking my food apart and it really was delicious, so I ate it. Today I woke up with my face so irritated that I couldn't tolerate to put make-up on. My body is so itchy that I can hardly stand it. It doesn't look like anything (except for where I've scratched myself red) on my body, but my face is irritated and red. I can't say with certainty that it's the bread (on top of the pizza crust from a few days ago), but it's something and I don't like it. I could shell out the cash to be tested for allergies and try to determine what's going on, or I could just avoid the thing that seems to be causing the problem. So that's what I'm going to do. Also, this is probably a decent time to publicly tell Misty that she was right. When I was having a particularly bad flare of this about 4 years ago, she told me that I should remove wheat from my diet and see if that helped. I scoffed at the very thought of a life without bread and pasta. Turns out that maybe I could have been avoiding this for years with a really simple change of my diet.
It's also worth noting that I've been a bit irritable and short with Eleanor this morning. That could just be a random thing that happens, but it could be diet related.